This week, I got to meet the rest of the staff. They all seem nice!
Early in the week I had a few professional development sessions. I also had meetings with all of the rest of the 7th grade teachers. I started getting my room set up. I also was taught how to use more educational software than I can ever possibly remember, let alone actually figure out how to use in my class.
I finally got my school laptop on Thursday, so I could sort of start following along all of the training on how to take attendance and things like that.
There was an open house for students and parents on Thursday night. I got to meet some of the students in my homeroom and their parents, which was good! Unfortunately, I still didn’t have access to the program that gives class lists, so I had no idea who was in my class until they walked in the door and introduced themselves, which was a little awkward.
All week, other teachers have been going through their belongings as they unpack and bring me gifts of assorted schools supplies. I now have more paper clips that I could ever actual use with paper, so I’ll have to come up with some lesson this year that requires paperclips as manipulatives…
On Friday, I finally got access to the attendance program (which has my class lists). I have 3 classes of 24 and one class of 31, but apparently, there is typically a huge amount of reshuffling in the first few days, so I really have no idea who will actually end up in my classes. Two of my classes are listed with an asterisk. I asked what that means and was told that those are either accelerated classes or classes with a special ed co-teacher. Then I asked how I could find out which of those possibilities these classes actually are and I was told (somewhat in jest) that I would find out Monday when a co-teacher either shows up or doesn’t! : ) I did some more digging and it looks like there will be a special ed co-teacher for both of these (it could actually be pretty nice to have a second adult in the room!). Of course, I still can’t access the database of IEPs, which is kind of unfortunate… I’m sure it will all work out.
Also, on Friday, we had an all-staff potluck lunch. I was one of the people assigned to bring dessert. I made brownies. It was the first time I have ever made brownies (solo). All of them were eaten and I got a few positive comments. This was particularly impressive considering that several of the other desserts were NOT entirely eaten. I hope my first attempt at teaching is as successful as my first attempt at making brownies! : )